Full Tummy

Come join me in seeing and tasting food the way I do, take a sniff with me and enjoy the flavors like I do.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Asparagus Soup

At our home, we have one day every week which is a soup or salad or sandwich night. This keeps us from getting bored of the regular indian fare, as well as adds a healthy light point to our weekday diet.

This week, it was Asparagus Soup with Ham/Cheese/Basil Paninis.

I should've called this Cream of Asparagus soup, but it really has no cream even though it is a lovely creamy texture. So lets just drop the whole "cream" thing and call it plain ol' asparagus soup :)

Asparagus Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion - chopped roughly
2-3 cloves garlic (optional)
1 white potato - chopped roughly
1 bunch of asparagus - buy the one which is thinner stalks, wash them in cold water, chop off the end 1/4th of throw away (The thicker white part). Chop the rest of it into 1-2 inches spear-lets.
1/2 tspn black pepper
salt
1 tspn chicken stock powder, optional, replace with any other kind of stock if you wish
1 cup milk
1 can corn, drained

1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Add onions and garlic and saute till transluscent
3. Add potatoes and saute for 5 minutes
4. Add asparagus. Add around 4-5 cups hot water.
5. Add black pepper, salt, chicken stock, optionally add 1/2 tspn red chilli powder
6. Boil for 10 minutes or until everything is tender.
7. Blend this whole thing in a blender or an immersion blender along with half the can of corn.
8. Return to the pan adding the rest of the corn kernels. Add milk.
9. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.


Asparagus and potatoes floating away


Asparagus Soup

3 Comments:

  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger trupti said…

    This is different! I love steamed asparagus, but will try this soup too!

    Cheers,Trupti

     
  • At 6:23 AM, Blogger Chandrika said…

    Hi Alison,

    I came here thro Indira's blog and you have a very nice blog...I loved reading your posts, especially the Gutti Coffee, Banana Bread, Lassi and the yogurt post... I am going to make your banana bread today or tomorrow and if I do take a snap of it, I will put it on my blog with credits to you... :-)

     
  • At 10:03 AM, Blogger Jaya Wagle said…

    Hi Alison,

    I love your blog and all the recipes you have posted so far. I am going to make the zuchini potato sabzi today. Will let you know how it turns out.
    I, myself, have started a blog recently, www.jayawagle.blogspot.com. I would love to ask you some question regarding some of the features you have on your blog.

    Jaya

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home