Full Tummy

Come join me in seeing and tasting food the way I do, take a sniff with me and enjoy the flavors like I do.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Dill Potatoes

Dill is a really popular herb where I was brought up - in Russia. In fact it is the most popular green thing out there :-) I make a few russian things with it... the Borscht soup (ooh, lets put it on the menu for next week), sauted/steamed cabbages, russian dumplings Pelmeny. But had never seen it being used in Indian cuisine, though it is always sold in the Indian grocery stores out here in California. I figure some Indian cuisines do use it, maybe I never got exposed to it.

Here is my dill take on aloo-methi :)

Dill Potatoes

Another entry for Saffron Trail's WBB# 6: A Twist in the Plate

4 medium size white potatoes
1 big bunch of dill
1 tspn cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tspn rai seeds (looks like a smaller and red mustard seed)
pinch of hing
salt to taste
1/4 tspn turmeric powder (I go low on turmeric in my cooking)
red chilli powder to taste
1 tspn dhaniya-jeera powder (Coriander / cumin - coarsely ground in 1:1 ratio)
1 tablespoon canola oil

1. Boil the potatoes till tender but not mushy. Cool, peel, and cut into cubes.
2. Wash the dill bunch as is, hold the bundle from the thick stalks and keep chopping finely until you start reaching the thick stalks.
3. In a pan add the canola oil, heat it. Add hing, jeera and rai and let them dance around.
4. Then add the salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, dhaniya-jeera powder directly in the oil and stir for a minute
5. Add the potatoes, cook uncovered for 5 minutes, stir frying to get the browned up a little
6. Add the finely chopped dill leaves. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
7. Then sprinkle around 1/4 cup or less than that water and cover and cook for a little bit.

Potatoes with dill

6 Comments:

  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger Jayashree said…

    Got here from MyDhaba. You have a lot of nice recipes. I too haven't ever had Indian food with dill in it. Yours is the second blog I've seen it on.

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger Shankari said…

    We dont use dill at home, but I have seen it used in india. Our relative used dill with green beans and it was fantastic

     
  • At 6:19 AM, Blogger Jaya said…

    Hi Alison !!
    my first time here ,liked the Dill with Potato ,we call in hindi "Aloo soye patte ki subzi" ,its apopular recipe in northern part of India, Dill gives excellent flavor to any recipes weather its tzatziki or Russian soup ,thanks for sharing this recipe and come with your Russian soup recipe ...All the best !!

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Blogger Alison said…

    Jayashree - I wonder what other indian recipes use dill. I would love to find out more!

    Shankari - Dill with green beans sounds yummy.. Cant get enough of greens!

    Mantu - Some people do find the dill flavor too strong, but I am so used to it ever since I was kid. In fact this herb is what gives russian food its "russian aroma". :-)

     
  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger Vani said…

    I love the flavor of dill. We make dill rice rottis and dill kootu at home. Never used them with potatoes though. Will definitely try ths recipe!

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Blogger Foodie's Hope said…

    Dill is my fav herb too!I have too many dishes with them, Bloggers make fun of me for that:D I have few with dill, I will add one of your's too!Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home